- 1 What to do with lots of blackberries?
- 2 How do you make blackberry filling from scratch?
- 3 Which fruit is used to decorate cakes and puddings?
- 4 Do Blackberries freeze well?
- 5 How do you decorate a cake with fruit?
- 6 Can I decorate cake with frozen berries?
- 7 How do you decorate a cake with strawberries and blueberries?
- 8 How do you thicken a berry pie?
- 9 Why is my blackberry pie so runny?
- 10 How do you make fruit filling from scratch?
- 11 How can I decorate my homemade cake?
- 12 How can I decorate my cake better?
What to do with lots of blackberries?
Things to Do With All Those Blackberries You Picked
- Eat them warm from the bushes. It doesn’t get much better in the world of fruit.
- Share them fresh.
- Freeze them.
- Make blackberry jam.
- Make blackberry juice.
- Make blackberry syrup.
- Make blackberry shrub.
- Make blackberry liqueur.
How do you make blackberry filling from scratch?
Step by step instructions
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, add the blackberries, sugar, lemon juice, and ¼ cup water. Cook on low to medium heat until all the sugar has dissolved. Use a vegetable masher to mash some of the fruit.
- Combine the remaining water with cornstarch. Add it to the blackberries.
Which fruit is used to decorate cakes and puddings?
Smooth jam has been sieved and is used for cakes that have already been baked. Textured jam contains pieces of fruit and can be used for breakfasts and desserts.
Do Blackberries freeze well?
The berries will keep just as well, but they may freeze into a large clump, instead of nice individually-frozen blackberries. If they are frozen properly (keeping as much air and moisture out as possible), blackberries should stay good for up to 1 year in the freezer.
How do you decorate a cake with fruit?
Soften a few tablespoons of jam or piping gel in the microwave (or in a small sauce pan) and gently coat the fruit using a pastry brush. Piping gel or jam can also help hold little piles of smaller fruit (like blueberries) together so none go rolling off the cake.
Can I decorate cake with frozen berries?
Not recommended. While there may be some that hold their shape better than others, don’t decorate a cake with frozen fruit unless you’re going for that soggy, juice running down the side effect (aka don’t do it). Decoration is best done with fresh fruits that are perky and full of colour.
How do you decorate a cake with strawberries and blueberries?
Combine strawberries with other berries for a more colorful look. Arrange sliced strawberries in overlapping rings on top of the cake. Leave a cup-sized gap in the middle, then fill the gap with blueberries. Blackberries or raspberries will also work for this.
How do you thicken a berry pie?
When thickening a fruit pie filling, there are several options to consider. Very often flour or cornstarch is used, but in certain instances tapioca, arrowroot and potato starch can also help achieve the desired consistency.
Why is my blackberry pie so runny?
Pies will get soupy/ runny if there’s too much liquid in the filling. Some blackberry pie recipes use flour to thicken the filling, and others (like this recipe) use cornstarch. This extra liquid can also make the crust extra runny. Don’t worry – your pie will still be super juicy.
How do you make fruit filling from scratch?
Place your berries in a medium pot with sugar, salt and 3 oz of your juice/water mixture. Bring to a boil and cook for 5-6 minutes. Combine your remaining 3 oz of water/juice and your 2 oz of corn starch together in a bowl to make a slurry. Pour this mixture into your hot berry mixture.
How can I decorate my homemade cake?
Just cover your cake in buttercream, chocolate or royal icing and press them around the edges of the cake. They give you a great base for topping your cake with sweets, fruits or flowers too. Top tip: The more chocolate fingers or cigarellos you’ve got, the better.
How can I decorate my cake better?
Basic Cake Decoration Tips
- Don’t Be Afraid to Spend a Little Money. This was the first thing I really learned about cake decorating.
- Make Your Own Icing.
- Left Handers are Unique.
- Flip Your Cake Over.
- Piping Gel and Parchment Paper are Pretty Amazing.
- That Turntable, Though.
- Smooth Out that Icing.
- It’s Probably Not Stiff Enough.