- 1 What can I make with a bunch of apples?
- 2 What is the best dessert apple?
- 3 What do you do with apples before they go bad?
- 4 Can you bake with eating apples?
- 5 Can you freeze whole apples with skin?
- 6 Why is it better to eat apples than drink apple juice?
- 7 What is the best apple to bake with?
- 8 Is Granny Smith a dessert apple?
- 9 Do Gala apples make good pies?
- 10 Can you freeze raw apples?
- 11 How long can apples last in the fridge?
- 12 What are Red Delicious apples best used for?
- 13 Why are there no Bramley apples?
- 14 Can I eat a cooking apple raw?
- 15 Are baked apples as healthy as raw?
What can I make with a bunch of apples?
10 Things to Do with All Those Apples
- Applesauce. Homemade apple sauce is so much better than what you find in the jar.
- Apple butter. Contrary to what some think, there is no butter in apple butter.
- Poached apples.
- Apple pie.
- Apple muffins.
- Apple cake.
- Caramel apples.
- Apple stuffing.
What is the best dessert apple?
The Best Apples for Baking
- Jonagold. Tart with a honeyed sweetness, Jonagolds hold up exceptionally well in the oven.
- Honeycrisp. This is our desert-island apple.
- Pink Lady (or Cripps Pink)
- Now, let’s bake some apples!
What do you do with apples before they go bad?
Check out our latest videos
- Chop or slice and add into pancakes or muffins.
- Core out the middles and make baked apples.
- Slice them up and indulge by making this southern fried apple recipe.
- Bake apple bread.
- Make applesauce – because a little sugar and cinnamon can solve almost any problem.
Can you bake with eating apples?
Eating apples can easily be used in pies or for other cooking, but cooks should lower the amount of any added sugar, as the apples will make up for it. People who want to baked eating apples should choose those that will retain their shape when cooked.
Can you freeze whole apples with skin?
Can you freeze whole apples with skin? You can freeze apple slices with skin if you want, but you shouldn’t freeze the whole fruit. Sliced apples freeze and thaw more quickly, preventing them from getting brown and mushy.
Why is it better to eat apples than drink apple juice?
Eating apples reduces cholesterol, but apple juice doesn’t. Drinking juiced fruit in childhood is associated with increased obesity, and eating the same fruit is not. Faint praise, indeed. The fiber in fruit contains polyphenols, which are antioxidant, free radical-scavenging, cancer-fighting chemicals.
What is the best apple to bake with?
The 5 Best Apples for Baking
- Granny Smith. The Granny Smith apple is my go-to apple for any baked or cooked recipe.
- Jonathan or Jonagold. These apples are very similar in flavor and how they behave when baked.
- Cortland. Don’t push this small apple to the side.
Is Granny Smith a dessert apple?
Colours range from red, to yellow and green, but all varieties fall into one of two categories: eating, also sometimes called dessert apples (including Cox’s Orange Pippin, Golden Delicious, Granny Smiths, Braeburn, Gala, Pink Lady and Jonagold) or cooking, with the latter being more tart in flavour, a result of their
Do Gala apples make good pies?
Red Delicious and Gala are two apples that won’t withstand cooking temperatures and should not be used for apple pie. Many new apple varieties, including Honeycrisp, have a flesh that fractures when you bite it. This is so appealing for snacking on an apple, but not the best feature for a good apple pie apple.
Can you freeze raw apples?
Freeze Whole Apples The easiest way to freeze your apples is to keep them whole. First, wash the apples thoroughly. Then, place them on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer. Once they’re completely frozen, transfer the apples to freezer bags.
How long can apples last in the fridge?
The best way to keep apples fresh and ready to eat is to store them unwashed, in whole form, and individually wrapped in the refrigerator. This can keep them fresh for up to 6–8 weeks.
What are Red Delicious apples best used for?
Red Delicious apples are best used in fresh preparations, as their flesh does not hold up well when cooked. Add to green, fruit and chopped salads. Use as an edible garnish on sandwiches, quesadillas and burgers.
Why are there no Bramley apples?
Bramley apple shortage to hit Britain Adrian Barlow, CEO of English Apples & Pears, said there had been a “significant” loss of Bramley hectarage in 2015 due to grubbing – where trees are cleared to grow other crops. “That happened because growers are not receiving sufficient returns.”
Can I eat a cooking apple raw?
A cooking apple or culinary apple is an apple that is used primarily for cooking, as opposed to a dessert apple, which is eaten raw. Worldwide, dual-purpose varieties (for both cooking and eating raw ) are more widely grown. Apples can be cooked down into sauce, apple butter, or fruit preserves.
Are baked apples as healthy as raw?
Are cooked apples as healthy as raw? Both cooked and raw apples are healthy, but stewed apples can be particularly helpful for gut health. You may even enjoy greater overall health, since a review of studies found that eating apples was associated with a reduced risk of heart disease, asthma and type-2 diabetes.